Wednesday 4 March 2015

I shuttle Nigeria, South Africa for movie roles –Oghenekaro Lydia Itene

An Exclusive Interview of Fast rising actress cum makeup artiste, Oghenekaro Lydia Itene, who has been making waves in Nollywood following the remarkable role she played in Shattered Mirror, a film directed by Lancelot Odua Imasuen.

The beautiful South Africa-based thespian known for her makeup brand, Kadia Makeovers, spoke to Entertainer on her acting career, recent project in Ghana, challenges and desire to go beyond Nollywood. Please read full interview after the cut...



You are looking beautiful, what is the secret?

It’s as a result of the grace of God upon my life. I also keep fit and watch whatever goes into my stomach.

When did you venture into Nollywood?

I ventured into Nollywood as a makeup artiste in 2011. Actually, people were advising me to go into acting and eventually my heart embraced acting with all the encouragement I got on a movie set, with stars like Patience Ozorkwo and Mercy Johnson. The director gave me a ‘waka pass’ role but I didn’t play it since I wasn’t ready for the big screen yet. Thereafter, after much consideration, I played my first role in Shattered Mirror. I must applaud the prolific and admirable director, Lancelot Odua Imasuen, for giving me the opportunity to realise my dream as an actress. I featured alongside Patience Ozorkwo (Mama G), Nkem Owoh, Ngozi Ezeonu and Majid Michel among others. I played 35 scenes as sub-lead.
You depicted that role to the admiration of fans, how were you able to get into the character?
I must appreciate all the professionals on set who made it easy for me to get into the character. But I owe the success of that movie to my mentor, Lancelot Odua Imasuen, for his creativity and teaching ability. On set, he is a great teacher who doesn’t tolerate nonsense; he is a perfectionist.

Could you tell us about the movies you have acted?

I have featured in some movies like In Between The Lines. I live in South Africa where I have also acted in some movies. Though, Shattered Mirror brought me to the limelight in Nigeria, I believe that the latest movie I shot in South Africa will announce me more as an actress. In the movie, I played alongside Nobert Young, Doris Simeon, and Rotimi, a star in Jacob’s Cross. I played the role of Temi, the opposite of the Reverend Sister I acted in Shattered Mirror. She was so desperate to marry the son of a multi-billionaire. She’s a fighter, stubborn, and hot tempered. Honestly, people will be flabbergasted to watch me playing a naughty girl with my innocent looks.

How would you describe your kind of person?
 

I am very reserved. I only talk when I am familiar with the people around me, so I could be in my shell sometimes. I wouldn’t say I am an extrovert but I talk when I am supposed to.
What were the challenges you encountered in your early days in the movie industry?
Sincerely, I have faced numerous challenges that up-and-coming actresses go through. Besides, it has not been easy breaking through as a fresher but God has been faithful, because after Shattered Mirror, which brought me into limelight, jobs have been coming. I am very grateful to God and everyone who made it possible for me to scale through.

You live in South Africa and you are always in Nigeria to shoot movies. How do you manage shuttling between both countries?

I live in Johannesburg, South Africa, but I shuttle between South Africa and Lagos to build my career and that is because of the jobs that I have here in Lagos. Besides, it has not been easy travelling from one place to the other in order to pursue a career, but I am not complaining because it is my job.
How would you describe your experience in Ghana where you shot a movie with Jackie Appiah?
It was a memorable experience shooting in Ghana where I spent 22 days on location. Ghanaian notable star, Jackie Appiah, truly inspired me on set with her acting prowess, which was so natural and admirable. She is so friendly and adorable on set. In fact, Ghanaians are truly hospitable, accommodating and loving.

What are you working on presently?

I am acting in a romantic movie entitled, Love in The Air, directed by Francis Agu. And I have a lot of movie scripts to shoot in South Africa. Immediately I arrive cameras will start rolling.
How do you intend to manage stardom and still remain relevant as a makeup artiste?
Kadia Makeovers is here to stay. It was my first love before acting came to romance me. So, I have to accept both since they are partners in the beauty and entertainment industry. I also do makeup on movies sets where I act. At Kadia Makeovers, we do beauty makeup, bridal, runways, fashion shows, music shows, musical videos and events in South Africa. And I have people working for me to keep business going especially when I am not around.

Any plan to bring Kadia Makeovers to Nigeria?

Honestly, I don’t want to let the cat out of the bag for now. Just keep your figures crossed. I will definitely inform you when it is time.
The industry is highly competitive, what are those qualities that distinguish you as an actress?
Interpreting my roles to the best of my knowledge and being myself as a person. And I wouldn’t forget my background because of stardom. In fact, the only competitor I have in life is myself. I don’t see any competition in Nollywood.

Could you tell us a bit about your background?

I was born in Benin City, Edo State. I grew up in Benin before my family relocated to Delta State due to the nature of my father’s job.

No comments:

Post a Comment